Monday, April 4, 2011

My LOOK Bike Gets a New Crankset

Spring is springing, and its time to get the bikes ready for the cycling season. I decided that my 2003 Campagnolo 53/39 crankset was no longer appropriate for our hllly North Shore of Long Island, with 16% to 26% grades common on many of my standard routes. I considered a triple, but wanted a low Q factor . I settled on a 2011 Campagnolo CX 10 speed Ultra Drive compatable crankset, which had extra sealing to ward off dirt and grime in the bottom bracket. The installation went smoothly, and I was even able to use my 2003 Chorus front derailleur. Today was the test ride, and everything went well.
The crankarms are plenty stiff, and jive well with the carbon LOOK frame. Climbing and dancing up hills was just fine. The new crankset also fits in well with the aesthetics of the frame and other components. The 34 ring combined with the 12-29 cassette should provide lots of gear inch advantage in conquering our rolling and hilly local terrain. I plan to use this bike for the Nassau to Suffolk 65 mile season warm up ride , starting out of Sea Cliff on Sunday, April 17.

No comments:

Post a Comment